Friday, October 28, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Amy'sCreativeSide

Amy over at Amy's Creative Side, is hosting the annual Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Since I'm a fairly new blogger, I wasn't sure what quilt I should post.  I've decided to chose the one I created for my in-laws fortieth wedding anniversary.  Back around last December, my sister-in-law asked me if I'd be interested in creating a  family tree quilt.  I agreed not realizing just how much work I was giving myself! Now, because of being a new blogger, I hadn't even considered creating one back then, I don't have many pictures.

I wanted this quilt to represent the family in a special way as well as showcase the Biblical heritage they raised their children upon.  I chose to create two roots, one each to represent my father and mother-in-law.  The roots were grounded upon the Bible, with their favorite verse written upon it.  Out of those two roots grew four branches, one for each child.  Each branch then had their spouses grafted to them with wedding bands.  From the branches came forth apples, each representing the grandchildren.  I printed the grandkid's pictures onto fabric and framed them within the leaf of the apple.  This quilt took me all of the entire six months I had to create it, I had to wait for grandbaby 17 to be born!  She arrived 1 week before the quilt needed to be finished!  It was well worth all the effort.  I learned so much from it as well, the biggest being patience in the process of what your mind thinks and it's transference onto paper and then onto fabric!
Here are what pictures I was able to find:

 What the apples looked like:
 The Bible with it's verse written on:

 When the family was rooted:
The entire tree in it's completion:












Phew, I am tired after recounting the process, but would totally do it again!  I had great fun!  It is now hanging in their main entry for all to see.  I am linking this over at Ann's Creative Side

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great and creative idea! I can see where it would take a lot of time! I'm sure they love it, too!
Thanks for sharing!

Sandra said...

What a terrific family record. As a quilt appraiser and researcher, I know that this will be a treasured record for a long long time.
Come see my entries: #29 miniature reproduction and #31 antique 1850 star quilt

Marika said...

Very nice work thanks for the quilt for division.

Lyanna L. said...

Love the idea for this quilt! I'm actually planning a project that involves printing photos on fabric...I might have to ask ya if I have any questions about it =)

Eileen said...

How very fun. What a great quilt and such a wonderful expression of family! Thanks for sharing and have a great day

Rebecca said...

What a fun family tree quilt! Great job!

Kit Lang said...

Cute quilt - thanks for sharing. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...